Sunday, February 17, 2013

Growbed update 18/2/2013

Been a long time so I thought I'll do an update on the current state of my system.

First is the fish tank is clean and fish are happy and healthy. I now have 3 juvenile and 3 Tilapia fingerlings plus one fat catfish. No unintended deaths to report. I've increased the duration of the pumps to be on longer but I'll cover that later.

Growbed has been replanted with Habanero plants and seedlings together with some Mints cuttings. Everything is growing rather nicely. I've lost the whole crop of BakChoys to caterpillar attack and decided to replant.

I've also removed the bell siphon so my flood and ebb is totally controlled by the timer for the pump now. I read on the net and finally decided take up on Mahfudz's suggestion to do this. Let's see how the plants like their roots being soaked longer in the nutrient rich water from the fish tank.

Pump now runs for 30 mins and off 30 mins to let the water drain through the bleed holes I have on the outlet pipe. The idea is to let the plant absorb more nutrients during longer soak time. This will also allow more water to pass through my coral bits and hopefully will be able to buffer the PH levels better. Longer pump runs also means that more filtration time for the fish tank water.

The growth you see now on the Habanero plants are from 3 weeks from germinating. I can already see the bigger plants starting to sprout tiny branches!

As always, enjoy the pics!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...